Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Superbowl Wednesday

Happy first (and extremely HOT) day of summer!

Wednesdays are one of the two days that I go for my long runs, so I woke up at 6am this morning to get my run in before it got too hot! I like to run in the heat sometimes to really get my sweat on, but 97 degrees is pushing it, so I was glad I got up early. Plus, I love getting my workouts done early in the morning, finishing 6 miles before 7am makes you feel like you are ready to take on the day!

I was a sweaty mess after my run and I was ready for a big breakfast, so I had my favorite peanut butter and banana oatmeal with strawberries on top, half a grape fruit, and a bottle of water.




After math class I came home and made a quick salad for lunch. I just mixed some dark greens, kale, sliced almonds, sliced grapes, carrots, cucumbers, and one hard boiled egg together. At the beginning of the week I will make a bunch of hard boiled eggs, and then store them in the refrigerator so I can have them on top of my salads! It is a great way to add some lean protein to your lunch.




Dinner was my favorite meal of the day! I went to Wegmans to get some of their wild caught salmon, and oh boy it was so delicious! I made a side of quinoa with tomatoes and kale to go with it, and just ended up mixing everything together in one big bowl! It was such a simple and awesome meal. If you are still hesitant about quinoa, try this recipe out, it has such great flavor and many nutritional benefits.


-1 cup of quinoa 
-2 cups of water
-2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
-2 handfuls of kale 

I simply put the water and quinoa on the stove and let it come to a boil, and then let it simmer for 15 minutes. I then added the tomatoes and kale and let it sit for another 3 minutes until the kale was wilted but still a bit crunchy.















Finally for dessert, I had a bowl of homemade granola with half a cup of dairy free almond yogurt with sliced strawberries. I will be brining you guys the recipe for my granola asap!


When I loaded my pictures onto my computer at the end of the day, I realized every single meal I had today was in a bowl and it made me laugh--hence the title "Superbowl Wednesday" for today's post. :)

Have a great next couple of days everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hey sis! Love the kale throughout the day! It is a great way to add variety and texture to your salads and side dishes, not to mention It is one of the most nutritionally dense substances on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! As dad kept saying last night, "ALL HAIL THE KALE" haha

    ReplyDelete