Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Train Hard

Along with the diet tip in my previous post, I decided to write about what types of workouts I find to be the most all around beneficial.

First of all, you do not need to run on the treadmill for 60 minutes to get an intense, exhausting workout. I used to go to the gym, run 6 miles on the treadmill, do some sit-ups, and then leave thinking I had just conquered the world.

However, after working with several trainers and getting advice from different friends who are into fitness like myself, I finally started to see the benefit of doing types of high intensity circuit training instead. It is so much more beneficial, better for your body (improves your muscular and aerobic fitness), and for the girls who are concerned with how many calories their treadmill says they have burned, it burns far more calories, especially at rest, than long distance running. Best of all, it takes half of the time.

Today my circuit was composed of the following exercises listed below, (i'll post pictures of different exercises this weekend), and I performed them four times through, (50 seconds performing the exercise, 10 seconds rest), using an interval timer that I would recommend to EVERYONE reading this. It's called "gymboss" and you can get it here... http://www.gymboss.com/.



1. push up, touch opposite hand to toe, switch sides
2. touch down side lunges
3.burpees (with push up and tuck jump)
4.step-ups using 10 pound ankle weights
5.dips (on the bench)
6.jump rope

What is so great about these exercises is that you aren't given a set amount of reps that you have to complete, you are just timed for 50 seconds so you have to push yourself to get as many reps as you can (while still maintaining proper form). You can also do them anywhere with little equipment, today I just used a jump rope and some ankle weights, and picked a grassy spot on campus. You may think a 25-35 minute workout sounds like a piece of cake, but try it out, and with only 10 seconds rest in between each exercise, believe me you are dripping with sweat and exhausted by the end.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rose! What should #1 look like? Do I stand up to touch my toes after the push up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! okay yeah this one is hard to explain I will probably post a video tomorrow! But you do a push up, stay in the push up position, and then turn your body as you bring your right foot up and touch that right foot with your left hand, and then bring it back down into the pushup position. Then you do the same thing with the left leg. But I'll post a video tomorrow! =)

    ReplyDelete