Sunday, March 31, 2013

Double Dessert Date Night

Happy Easter everyone!!


Haha. This picture just cracks me up.

This is my first easter away from my family so it is a weird one but I feel lucky to be where I am. I hope everyone has a wonderful relaxing Sunday (filled with peanut butter eggs)!

So, last night Cort and I had an absolutely incredible meal.  We are both big foodie's so I have been searching for new restaurants for us to try once or twice a month. Last night we went to Picca Peru, where I have been trying to get a reservation since we got to LA. In 2011 the head Chef, Chef Zarate, was awarded the title of Best New Chef in America by Food & Wine Magazine. And, GQ ranked it one of the 10 Best New Restaurants in America. So yeah, I knew it was going to be awesome.

We had a 6:15 reservation, and as soon as we walked in I was pleasantly surprised at how laid back it was. I was thinking it would be a fancy stuck up type place since it was so hard to get a reservation but I was totally wrong. It was such a fun little restaurant and our waiter was really nice and explained how everything worked since it is a Peruvian restaurant and the menu is a bit confusing. My favorite part about it was the "tapas" style serving sizes so they were only a few bites each. This allowed us to order a variety of things off the menu.

Cort started with the Avocado Project. Our waiter said it was one of their most popular drinks and Cort really liked it.






















I ordered the Anticucho Black Cod which was cod with a miso anticucho sauce and crispy sweet potato. It was so good. The cod was cooked perfectly and the sweet potato's were crunchy and salty, I wish I had more!



I also got the Zapallo, which was kabocha squash with sweet miso sauce and micro greens. The sauce tasted like honey, I loved it!


Cort went with the Seco De Pato. It was a crispy braised duck leg with peruvian beer sauce and cilantro rice. It looks much bigger in the picture, but it was only a couple bites! He was raving about it.


His second dish was the Choritos. It came with steamed black mussels, applewood smoked bacon, and aji amarillo butter.


Even though we had four Georgetown Cupcakes waiting for us back at home, we couldn't resist ordering some dessert. We went with the Vanilla Bean Pisco Flan and the Alfajores which were little pastries with chocolate and strawberry filling. The dessert was my favorite part (surprise surprise haha), the flan was amazing and the pastries reminded me of powdered donuts!



I wish I could eat here every weekend! It was such an awesome experience and I plan on bringing my friends and family here this summer when they come to visit, it would definitely be a good time with a big group.

BUT, our feast didn't end there... as the title of this post indicates we went big with desserts last night. When we got home we dug into these four beauties while we watched Downton Abby. By the way, I have become obsessed with Downton... such an awesome show and I love the accents.


Two peanut butter fudge, one salted caramel, and one chocolate vanilla. 




The salted caramel stole the show in my opinion. Mmmmm.



And that is all! I have a smoothie recipe coming your way soon, but for now have a good week everyone!


2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of all these awesome places you have been able to try! Keep posting so I can pretend to go there ;) we need more of this stuff on the east coast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it! There are no restaurants like this at home! It is definitely one of my favorite things about California, endless amounts of good food!

      Delete